Bloomington United for Youth (BUY)
BUY is an organization started in 1998 because community members recognized a need for Bloomington youth to have positive ways to engage in their community, with the hope that they would carry on those skills to other places in the world as they develop into adults. The activities focus on development of safe places for youth, interactions with caring adults, a healthy start, effective education and opportunities to help others. In 2000 BUY applied and was recognized as a Community of Promise through General Colin Powell's America's Promise: the Alliance for Youth.
Some of the activities and initiatives that BUY has coordinated are:
- Planting the Seeds - Bloomington youth in collaboration with the Bloomington faith community assisted senior citizens in our community with spring clean up
- Mini Golf Tournament - an opportunity for youth and established members of Bloomington to socialize and share each other's perspective
- coordinated with Hennepin County Oxboro library to meet with youth and gather needs which led to the development of the Youth Action Crew
- Box City Vigil - an overnight annual event now in its 6th year held on the State Capital plaza that brings high school students from across the state of Minnesota with the mission of raising awareness for youth homelessness; and raises funds for various Minnesota youth shelters.
- Teen Job Fair - an annual event in its 5th year that brings Bloomington youth and employers together
- Central Grounds - an initiative since 1998 to establish a safe and drug free teen center in Bloomington (as an alternative to the Mall of America). Activities for this purpose have included Battles of the Bands, meeting with local professionals for the development of business plans and architectural designs, securing liability insurance, and meeting with city officials. In March 2011 the efforts of hundreds of volunteer teens will be recognized with the opening of a small teen center space in Bloomington's Senior Citizen Center.
- BUY Volunteer Recognition Event - an annual event that recognizes outstanding contributions to our community that support BUY's mission by individual youth, youth organizations, individual adults, and community organizations.
What new functionality we are looking for
Some of the features we would like in a new and improved website would be:
- having the look "vamped up"; professional but highly enticing to youth
- have access to various social media links (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, My Space, etc.)
- links to our community partners (schools, city, libraries, etc.)
- have drop down menus so information is more easily located within the website
- easy ways to post pictures or video of events and update them regularly
- make it easily edited by volunteer students
- password protected "members" only area for internal communications
- capacity for people to volunteer and/or make a donation (i.e. to get involved) via the website
How the new functionality will help
A more enticing website will make it easier to spread the word of BUY's mission and achievements, and encourage youth and adults to join our efforts. Especially now that we have finally seen our dream of a teen center/coffee house come to life. We need a way to communicate its opening, calendar of events, volunteer needs, etc. Also a new enhanced interactive website will help develop similar groups in other parts of the state to set up organizations like ours so that all of Minnesota youth can have community support.
How our organization will use the technology
Who will use the technology
13 Messages from Supporters
BUY is a volunteer organization that works to engage the entire Bloomington community in the positive development of youth. BUY is composed of members from local government, schools, the faith community, businesses, civic and service organizations, as well as youth. BUY's philosophy is based on the 40 Developmental Assets developed by the Search Institute.
- Community Issue
- Nurturing Youth
- Visit the Site
- Visit their site.